Saturday, November 26, 2011

Black Friday - My thoughts


What better name for the day after Thanksgiving than Black Friday? It's black, it's heartless and it's shameless. I've watched several videos of mobs at stores like Wal Mart going absolutely berserk over discounted towels and sheets, just to save a few bucks. I feel so embarrassed and ashamed for our country on days like yesterday.
I understand the want to get products at a cheaper price, but I feel like a major line has been crossed.
When people literally camp out in front of stores like Best Buy to make sure they are the 1st to get in, they're not only making fools of themselves, but they're missing ALL of Thanksgiving, a day that is mainly about reflecting and being thankful for what you HAVE, not what you want.

You would think after past tragic events that happened on Black Fridays, stores would get their acts together and find a better way to deal with the frenzy that waits outside. That would be the appropriate action to take, right? But what do they do instead? They decide to open their doors at midnight! Does anyone else see the failed logic in that? Obviously large corporations like Wal Mart and Best Buy care more about making another dollar than the safety of the customers, and they aren't 100% to blame. When consumers act like animals and are willing to trample over others just to make sure they get their arms filled with SanDisk memory cards for 1/2 off, why should Wal Mart hold back?
I know I'm not the only person in the world that feels this way and I also know that this is WAY off topic for this blog, but I just HAD to get this off my chest. Seeing people behave that pathetic makes me cringe. Shame on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment